WANTED: Youth Leadership Program Coordinators 2020
Toastmasters deliver the Youth Leadership Program in a workshop format consisting of one to two-hour sessions over six weeks to enable young people under the age of 18 to develop communication and leadership skills through practical experience. District 42 is fortunate to work with the Calgary Public Library to deliver these programs throughout our community.
Fall 2019 saw 5 successful sessions completed at:
- Central Library
- Crowfoot Library
- Seton Library
- Shawnessy Library
Interest in the program continues to grow with waiting lists forming at several of the venues. To meet the need and expand the program, we are currently seeking additional coordinators. We need Youth Leadership Coordinators for January 4, 5 and 15 starts with a six week commitment.
The program is presented during or after school, or on weekends. In the workshop, participants learn valuable skills including:
- Evaluating their own speaking ability
- Preparing and giving speeches
- Giving impromptu talks
- Controlling their voice, vocabulary and gestures
- Giving constructive feedback and more
Stepping into this role fulfills a major step in the Pathways System and vital for those trying to complete DTM by June 30th. This is second to the fulfillment you receive by changing a small group of young people future by providing them a hand up, when hyou teach them the Toastmasters’ skills you benefit from.
With Coordinators fresh from the program, mentorship opportunities exist for the next couple of months. Additionally, preference is given to those previously involved in Youth Leadership. This allows enables us to maintain a high quality of the program delivery.
Team focus is important.
1) To combat volunteer burn out.
2) In case a Coordinator is unavailable, the young people experience consistency with other team members.
3) The program requires three (3) regulars plus a guest speaker to successfully facilitate the meeting.
- Coordinator works with Chair Person and Table Topic Master
- Coordinator works with evaluations and volunteers / cheerleads
- Recorder / floater
YLP Coordinator Training
Saturday, November 2, 2019
Fish Creek Library – 11161 Bonaventure Dr SE
For additional information, contact
Adam MacDonald (403-808-3795, firstname.lastname@example.org) or
Christina Kruis, DTM (403-771-4884, email@example.com)