MORE THAN SEX AND MONEY
“There are two things people want more than sex and money: recognition and praise.”
Mary Kay Ash, Founder of Mary Kay Cosmetics
“There is more hunger for love and appreciation in this world than for bread.”
HOW do we recognize and appreciate?
- Handwritten notes
- Words of gratitude
- Pat on the back
- reflects the core values of the organization
- someone sees us, praises us, or validates us
- strengthens the bond between people
- helps satisfy our longing for healthy attachment
- help team members overcome uncertainty
- is instructive and rewarding
- sends a clear message they are valued and appreciated
- job satisfaction and engagement levels are significantly increased
- tend to be even more industrious
- genuine praise is a powerful motivator
- builds confidence and validates a job well done
“82% of employees polled report they don’t receive enough recognition”
“43% of employees cite a lack of recognition as their reason for quitting”
Recognize and Appreciate with OF THE YEAR AWARDS
For the OTY website click HERE
Explain supportive details, dates, names, examples or significant information to add to your submission.
Describe how their actions are different, unique, innovative or creative in contributing to club and district success.
Valuable ideas for a powerful OTY nomination
- Specific details of the job or tasks they did
- How were their actions different, unique, creative or innovative?
- How did they demonstrate raising the bar?
- Explain how they encouraged others and contributed to club success.
- What example do they set in their own Toastmasters education journey?
- What leadership qualities do they bring to the club?
- What traits do they share in improving the learning environment?
- What supportive details, dates, names, examples or important information can you provide?
- Have someone review your nomination for grammar and clarity before submitting it.
- Keep a copy!
- Record your winners in your diary so it is easy to find them when you present the following year.
- Give examples of leadership qualities they bring to the club that improve the learning environment.
Reimagine D42 if all clubs submitted OTY nominations!
“Brains, like hearts, go where they are appreciated.”
Robert McNamara, Fmr. American Secretary of Defense
Christina Kruis, DTM
District 42 Content Creator